The Plymouth and South Devon Freeport will supercharge the South West economy by building on our region’s unique national capabilities in marine, defence and space to form globally impactful clusters and a UK Innovation Superpower.
Our outstanding location means the Freeport is prime for growing marine autonomy, renewables and innovative businesses.
The Plymouth and South Devon Freeport will attract new investment and provide supply chain opportunities, embedding our commitment to tackle climate change, deliver clean growth and marine decarbonisation.
We will provide innovation, investment and infrastructure to build a more resilient, sustainable, and productive economy and upskill the local workforce for the high quality future proof jobs the Freeport will bring.
Our story so far:
- December 2020 – Team assembled to submit Freeport bid
- January 2021 – Bid submission made to Government for the Plymouth and South Devon Freeport
- March 2021 – Successful bid announced in spring budget
- July 2021 – Stakeholder event held with local MPs, businesses, organisations and agencies to discuss and shape the Outline Business Case (OBC) submission
- November 2021 – OBC submitted to Government
- December 2021 – Stakeholder event held to reflect on the OBC submission and set the agenda for the Full Business Case (FBC)
- April 2022 – FBC agreed by partners and submitted
- May 2022 – Plymouth and South Devon Freeport Company established and Interim Chair and directors appointed
- August 2022 – Interim CEO appointed to mobilise the Freeport
- October 2022 – All three Freeport tax sites designated by statutory instrument
- November 2022 – Announcement of Full Business Case approval expected from Government